Thursday, June 18, 2009

Voda voda everywhere

The doctor, yesterday, with his many years of ship-board experience, said these were the first waves he had seen that were so big on a cross-over. (I don't know how many feet they were, but they reminded me of a night trip to the Bahamas when my coffee fell, fell up, and found itself splattered over the ceiling of Rhino.) A member of the crew with eleven years of experience had his first bouts of seasickness. Air spray and little white bags were scattered throughout the ship, but in the evening and at every meal we could see most students were unaffected and having a great time, playing cards, meeting new people, wandering around the ship. I'm feeling fine, and excited about my first day of teaching. With all the wind howling this morning, I'm eager to see how well I can write on the board or get these kids to move around in a moving classroom in the bow of the vessel.

5 comments:

  1. "...Barf." "Not in here mister. This is a mercedes." How are you managing it?! I'm picturing a combo of dramamine AND the natural stuff...Hope it's going ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting seasick reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't talk about it! But at least it is a good intro to new vocabulary. How did you get assigned to the classroom in the bow? More pitching but less rolling. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before you know it, you'll be in the Mediterranean, which will be much, much calmer. Imagine Odysseus on his way home from Troy--The MARE NOSTRUM has been a place of great adventure since before recorded time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm....I had to clean up that coffee that spilled on the ceiling! haha

    ReplyDelete